Thursday, March 11, 2010

My adventures at the supermarket checkout



Neuss - Carmela Narcisi (51) is Italian and a single mother of two children. For 18 years she has worked as a cashier in "real" in Neuss Rheinpark Center.
And here she experienced a lot. Three years ago she began to record the events at the register - on sales receipts!
It has now emerged a book: "99 faces in one day - Class at the checkout. At the Frankfurt Book Fair, she already was. In May, she wants to present it to the New York World's Fair.
I need not go to the theater. What happened to me at the box office, is often better than any movie or drama! "
 Carmela Narcisi is one of 60 cashiers in the supermarket. In its five-hour shift, she has daily up to 200 customers. In the past three years saw and heard them more closely.
No sooner had she experienced something in their cash register, she set out keywords on receipts, she wrote at home straight. Always in Italian. And even then on till receipts.
"For this I have always used the remnants of my cash register rolls." Bags manner described Bons came together in three years. A year ago, which she translated into German by a friend.
"The manuscript of 99 stories I sent to the RG Fischer Verlag. Which it has now fallen! "Prompt one has published it in book form - now it is something like the Hemmingway from the supermarket.
With 16 years Narcisi came to Germany. "Because I love the German language as" First they lived in Baden-Wuerttemberg, made a cosmetics lesson.
"I have also trained as a soprano," says the native of Kalabresin. "My Kassenjob's fun. Prefer to have my clients not to give me a smile. "
 Witty, thoughtful, to smile, to cry - the stories are a colorful mix. And funny, illustrated with cartoons. Made by a colleague of Narcisi. Nebojsa "Neks" Preradovic - a gifted draftsman. And what he does in "real"?: "I am brushing." A supermarket of talent!
Also of interest
Some stories from the life of a cashier